Skip to Content

Navigation

See and experience

Neristan, the Old Town of Kokkola!
Near the Kokkola city centre lies one of our country’s most extensively preserved historical area of wooden houses. The town plan is from the1650s. It consists of 12 blocks with hundreds of wooden houses and outbuildings. The oldest are built in the 17th century. Tourists who prefer to walk around on their own can guide themselves along the Wanha Kalle’s tour of the city. You can pick up a free brochure from Kokkola Toursim and acquaint yourselves with the history of Kokkola! The walk is about 3,5 km and so a stop at one of the charming coffee places along the tour might refresh you. Another alternative is to participate in one of the guided tours of Neristan and listen to the fascinating stories about the old part of town.
www.neristan.fi

Tankar, the Lighthouse Island of Kokkola!
The lighthouse island of Tankar is situated in the outer archipelago of the Bay of Bothnia, about 15 km northwest of Kokkola. The island is approximately 900 meters long and 500 meters wide and it was called Klippan (the rock) in the 16thcentury. The islands lighthouse was built in 1889 and it’s still in use. There is also an old fishing village, a chapel, seal hunting museum, a bird-watching tower and a piloting station on the island. Summer offers also a route to Köpmanholmen. Köpmansholmen offers services of café, restaurant, meeting facilities and Terra Mare exhibition of land uplift.
www.tankar.fi 
   
Veikko Vionoja´s summer home
The Vionoja summer home is nowadays called Taide Vionoja. The house was built in the 18th century in Veteli, but it was later moved to Perho and in the beginning of the 1970s to its current location in Ullava. Korpela´s, the summer home of Veikko Vienoja, art professor (1909-2001) Art exhibition is open in 25.6.-19.8.2018, Tues-Sun at 11-18; other times, also in winter, according to agreement. Veikko Vionoja’s artwork is displayed in most Finnish art museums and several collections, the largest being K.H. Renlund’s collection in Kokkola, Jouko Tissari’s
collection at the University of Jyväskylä and the Vionoja Foundation’s collection. His works of art are on display in several foreign art museums and public collections. Haapalantie 121, FI-68380 Yli-Ullava, taide.vionoja@vionoja.fi or
esa.puumerkki@kotinet.com, Tel. +358 40 5831 482.

Swimming centre VesiVeijari
VesiVeijari is one of the most popular swimming centres in Finland. It offers great experiences throughout the year for visitors of all ages. Indoor activities include swimming, gymnastics and having fun or just relaxing in one of the nine pools. In addition to the traditional suan, you can also try the infrared sauna, smoke sauna or turf sauna by appointment. In winter it is possible to try winter swimming. In the summer the bravest can slide dowm th e80-metre-long outdoor water slide. We also offer diverse recreational and conference packages for companies and groups.
Kaarlelankatu 55, 67100 Kokkola. Tel. +358 40 8068 042.


K.H. Renlund museum – Provincial Museum of Central Ostrobothnia - Free entry in 2018!
This rich cultural heritage of Kokkola is displayed in the K.H.Renlund Museum. Alongside exhibitions, the museum offers an extensive range of educational programmes for visitors of all ages. The courtyard of the Museum Quarter is an oasis during the summer, a pleasant place where you can sit and enjoy refreshments in historical surroundings before or after a tour of the museum. A wide range of exhibitions can be admired at the Roos House, the Pedagogy, the Lassander House and the Exhibition Hall. Visits to the Drake House and to see Leo Torppa’s Camera Collection can be arranged by appointment. Karl Herman Renlund (1850-1908) donated his large art collection to the town of Kokkola. The collection of about 40 works from the Golden Age of Finnish Art can be seen at the Roos House (1813), which also houses some of the museum’s temporary exhibitions and the museum shop. Photographer Leo Torppa’s camera collection is on display in the salt storehouse. The Museum quarter: The Pedagogio, a schoolhouse built in 1696, is the oldest non-ecclesiastical wooden building in an urban setting in Finland. The Lassander House offers a glimpse into ban setting in Finland. The Lassander House offers a glimpse into a merchant’s home in the 18th century. In the Exhibition Hall Modern folk art and international Outsider art from private and the ITE Contemporary Folk Art Museum´s collections are currently displayed in cooperation with the Union for Rural Culture and Education. Admission fee 4€/ 2€, free entry on Thursdays. Opening hours: Tue-Sun 11-18, Thu 11-18.
The office: Vingenkatu 18 (2. floor), tel. +358 44 7809 474, guide services call +358 44 7809 477.
The Roos House: Pitkänsillankatu 39, Tel. +358 40 8065 165, 44 7809 477.
The Museum Block: Pitkänsillankatu 28, Tel. +358 40 8065 164, 44 7809 477.

Lassander House
The house was built in 1748, on plot number 117 on Gustaf Adolf Street, on the west side of the city. In its time, it was a modern building, a two-storey cubed house covered with a pitched roof. The year of construction is engraved above the attic window. The house was transported to its current location from 22 Gustav Adolf Street. The boards covering the logs have been installed after the house was re-erected on this plot in 1973. When the house was moved here, the floors were also combined, which previously had been two separate dwellings. Dutch glazed roof tiles transported by merchant vessels in 1800’s cover the roof. In an 1834 fire insurance policy, is a description of the fixed interior of the house. It reveals that there was matte water-painted wallpaper in four of the rooms. After the house was transported here, the walls have been re-painted in the style of 17 and 1800’s. Pitkänsillankatu 28. Tel. +358 40 8065 164, 44 7809 477.

The Home of Fredrik and Anna Drake
Four generations of the artisan family Drake lived in this house, which is built in the 1830´s. Its contents include items spanning from late 18th century to late 20th century, for example Objects d’ Art, handicrafts and a library of over 3000 books. Läntinen Kirkkokatu 20, Tel. +358 44 7809 477. Open by appointment.

Kieppi - Museum of Natural History
Kieppi Collections: Veikko Salkio´s Natural History Collection. Viljo Nissinen´s Mineral Collection. Armas Järvelä Butterfly Collection. The Kokkola Museum of Natural History is an excellent place to visit, especially with children! Veikko Salkio (1912-2006) wanted to promote nature conservation and environmental education. Salkio’s Natural History Collection consists of almost all Finnish mammals and about 230 different bird species, deer and bovid antlers and skulls, fossils etc. Viljo Nissinen’s (1914-2000) goal was to get an as complete collection as possible. The beauty and flawlessness of a specimen was very important to him. The collection consists of over 1400 mineral specimens organized according to their chemical classification and crystal structure. Armas Järvelä’s (1918-2002) Butterfly Collection consists of over 30 000 specimen, including almost all butterfly species encountered in Finland. The butterflies displayed in Kieppi are divided into different themes due to the large number of specimens: Papilionoidea, hawk moths and nightjars, common moths and leaf roller moths, owlet moths and geometer moths. Opening hours: 1.6.-31.8. Tue-Sun 11-16, 1.9.-31.5. Tue-Fri 12-15, Thu 12-18, Sat-Sun 11-16, Mon closed.
Pitkänsillankatu 26, Tel. +358 40 8065 155. Free entry!

The Kaarlela Museum of Local History and Culture
The Kaarlela Museum of Local History and Culture presents local Finnish rural culture from the 19th century.The courtyard houses a stable, workshop and forge, a smoke sauna, drying barn and various outbuildings.The Kaarlelan Vicarage was built in 1736-1737 by Karl Gustav Werander, who was the local vicar at the time. The most famous vicar who lived in the vicarage was Anders Chydenius. The stone church of Kaarlela has been a landmark since 1550. The church, situated in Kirkonmäki in Kokkola, is a popular venue for weddings and concerts. The church is also one of the notable churches situated near major roads, which are marked on maps as sights. 
Kirkkopolku 4, Tel. +358 44 7809 578. Open: July-August Tue-Sun 11-16, Thu 11-18. The Kaarlela Museum admission fee 2€/ 1€. 

English boathouse and gunboat
In the summer of 1854 during the battle of Halkokari (The Crimean War) a gunboat was captured with its crew. The captured gunboat with its battle damage still visible is on display in the ‘English Park’ in Kokkola.

The Lohtaja Heritage Museum
The oldest bulding in the museum area in Lohtaja was built in 1698 and is located next to the Lohtaja church yard. The items displayed in the main building date mainly back to the 19 th century and collected from the Lohtaja area. A meadow
barn, a sauna, a windmill and other objects can also be seen here. You can also acquaint yourselves with the red soldier’s cottage that presents the life of a tenement solider and his family during the reign of the Swedish Empire. Open during the summer, for accurate opening hours, see the museum website www.kokkola.fi/museot or tel. +358 40 7809 474.
Lohtajan Kirkkotie 2 C, Lohtaja. Tel. +358 40 7809 474.

The Kälviä Museum of Local History and Culture
The Kälviä Museum of Local History and Culture is located approximately 1,5 kilometers from Kälviä towards Ullava . The Museum building is a red painted log house that was originally built in Tuunala, a bit further up the road, in 1845. The building was used as the office building for the sergeant major of the Osterbothnian infantry regiments Lohtaja Company.

Toivonen´s Animal Park and Peasants´ Museum
The Toivonen Animal Park and Peasant Museum is interesting and fun for visitors of all ages. In our museum you can get acquainted with the rural life in Central Ostrobothnia in the 20th century. Come and visit our extensive museum village and its animal park. Have a cup of coffee in the old farmhouse. Visit also the souvenir shop. th century. Come and visit our extensive museum village and its animal park. Have a cup of coffee in the old farmhouse. Visit also the souvenir shop. The Peasants´ Museum consists of 45 separate buildings and about 7500 museum pieces and the Animal Park has over 25 different species and all in all close to 200 animals for the whole family to enjoy. 
Summer 2016: Reborn Children’s Museum at Matintalo, Recycling at Matintalo 29.5. – 21.8., Housing fair for children at Museum village (several furnished playhouses and a play-shop in the area, come and elect the prettiest cottage),
Kälviä week 2.– 10.7.,Activities at the Museum shop on 2.-3.7. and 9.-10.7. at 12-17
goldsmith, history of photography, stories about the village shop, post office and telephone exchange, Rope-making at Museum village on 6.8. at 12-17
Open: 15.5.-21.8. This attraction offers also acommodation. Eläinpuistontie 2 (by the highway 8, app.10 km north of Kokkola), Kälviä. Tel. +358 6 8351 190, +358 45 2362 433, +358 500 666 535.

The Öja Fishing Museum and the Öja Museum of Local History and Culture
The Fishing Museum consists of Alina’s cottage, boatsheds, storage sheds for fish-traps and salt, a smoke sauna, and a woodshed, as well as the furnishings and equipment related to each of these buildings. The Öja Museum of Local History and Culture represents the life of the farming community in the 19th century and displays various types of agricultural equipment.

The Ohtakari Fishing Museum
One could say that the Ohtakari Fishing Village as a whole creates an open air museum. The island has a group of red fishing cabins and gray outbuildings that create together this idyllic and unique village. The old fishing cabins are nowadays used as summer cottages and most of them are traditionally restored or renovated.The Fishing Museum is an important part of the area.

Kokkola Fire Museum
The history of firefighting in Kokkola. Kokkola Fire Museum Exhibition includes tools and equipment used by firefighters.
Ventuksentie 84, opening times: summer June 27th - July 30th at 12-17 or based on a agreemet.

The Printing House Museum
The Printing House Museum (Välikankaan kirjapainomuseo) offers a tour to traditional printing house methods from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1960s. Museum is open based on a agreement. Addr. Tullukamarinkatu 3, Tel. 040 5162 311.


Neristan
Neristan

Tankar
Tankar

Swimming Centre VesiVeijari
Swimming Centre VesiVeijari

K.H.Renlund museum -  Roos House
K.H.Renlund museum- Roos House

K.H.Renlund museum - Pedagogio
K.H.Renlund museum - Pedagogio

Kieppi - Museum of Natural History
Kieppi - Museum of Natural History

The Kaarlela Museum of Local History and Culture
The Kaarlela Museum of Local History and Culture

The stone church of Kaarlela
The stone church of Kaarlela

Toivonen´s Animal Park and Peasants´ Museum
Toivonen´s Animal Park and Peasants´ Museum
Tekstisi tulee tähän.

matkailu

Back to top