Kokkola is located in Central Ostrobothnia, on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia. A train trip from Helsinki takes only around 4 hours. The Kokkola-Pietarsaari International Airport lies just 22 km from the city centre.
The versatile economic structure is one of the town’s fortes. Its industry and commerce is based the international large-scale industry. Kokkola is also an eminent centre for business and education.
On 7 September 1620 Swedish king Gustav Adolf II signed a document transforming the small Ristiranta village, known for fishing and farming, into a town.
Kokkola is located in Central Ostrobothnia in Western Finland, on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia. The town is the financial, administrative, educational and cultural center of the region.
Kokkola was founded in 1620 by King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden. Due to the consolidation of municipalities the municipality of Kaarlela was incorporated to the city of Kokkola in 1977, and the municipalities of Kälviä, Lohtaja and Ullava in 2009.
The population of Kokkola has been grown rapidly within the past few years. There are 47 570 people living in Kokkola at the moment, which makes it the 23nd biggest town in Finland. The total area of Kokkola is 2 731 km2, from which 1 444 km2 is land area.
The town’s population density is 32,39 inhabitants per km2. Of the town's population, 84,1 % speak Finnish as a first language and 12,8 % speak Swedish, and 3,1 % speak a language other than Finnish or Swedish as a first language.